Thursday, July 21, 2011

Making Scrub Sponges Last Longer

I really like to use Scotch Bright scrub sponges to wash dishes (and scrub dirty counters). 



I can usually buy them cheaply with coupons (especially at Costco).


 Two make the sponge last twice as long, I cut it in half with a sharp pair of scissors.



One half of the sponge is just the right size (especially for kid's size hands) to wash dirty dishes. I always place my sponges on the top rack of the dishwasher when I wash a load of dishes in it to disinfect them.


You need to keep sponges dry between uses, so that they don't become a breeding ground for bacteria. An old plastic berry basket in the drying rack works great for hold drying sponges (and the lids to water bottles, so that they don't don't fall down the garbage disposal).


This little trick my not save me a ton of money, but every little bit helps!

5 comments:

  1. I buy those little scrub pads without the sponges...it's maddening how quickly they wear out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! You can also run them through your dishwasher to sanitize them so if there's any question about bacteria, you've taken care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont have a dishwasher but I do throw them in the wash and then just sit them outside to dry. They last much longer this way.

    Thanks for the idea of cutting them.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of cutting them...what a great idea! I never even thought of using a berry basket to put them in the dishwasher! I learn so much at your blog, TWM! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    My name is Brooklyn Bagwell and I am the Casting Director for TLC's hit show Extreme Cheapskates. We're seeking extremely frugal people that find cheaper alternative ways to live their lives. I was looking through your blog and I think you would be perfect for the show.

    We’re also hoping to teach our viewers how to save money in the easiest way. I truly believe that your knowledge and advice would be great for Season 3. Plus its a great way to promote your blog! I would love to speak with you more about this opportunity!

    I look forward to hearing from you!

    Email - Brooklynbagwell11@gmail.com
    Cell – 828 442 0787

    Best,
    Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails